Monday 28 April 2014

Ground School

Since I am getting through my flight training relatively quickly, I figure it is time to start ground school.

My flight school does not currently have a formal ground instruction program.  They recommend an online program.  I decided on www.pilottraining.ca.  They have ground school options for many different kinds of licenses.  The private pilot course is $250 CAD + tax and includes PSTAR and Radio Operator Certificate preparation.  You get online access for 270 days. 

There are reading assignments, presentations and videos.  Each section has a quiz which tracks your understanding and grades you through the course.  Since the TC requirements indicate 40 hours of ground school, I am surprised that they do not REQUIRE you to spend 40 hours minimum.  Anyone who has a boater license might know what I mean.  Each reading section has a timer and you are not allowed to move on until the timer reaches zero.  Major annoying if you learn quickly, but there are time requirements.  the PPL course does not have something similar.  From what I gather, if you have the knowledge, you can do all the quizzes and watch all the videos and you are good to go. 

I am just waiting for my copy of From the Ground Up (THE book for PPL ground school) from my flight school and I will start making my way through the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment