Friday 25 April 2014

Radio Operator Certificate

The other I managed to get finished was my Radio's Operators Certificate (ROC-A) from Industry Canada which is a prerequisite before you are allowed to communicate with other aircraft or ground stations in the aircraft.  This is also required before I am allowed to fly without an instructor (still a ways to go yet before that happens).  I am now able to start practicing radio calls.

The study guide for the ROC-A can be found here.  You really do not need a course to complete the exam.  I did find it a bit frustrating that I could not find a sample exam to see how the exam is structured and how they ask the questions, but after writing the exam...it is very basic.  Other than the basic stuff like how the order of priority and the phonetic alphabet, be sure you know the penalties, when to use words like "affirmative" and "over" and read the questions.  Some of the questions are very hard to understand and seem more about testing your ability to understand complex phrases used in regulations than to make sure you understand what you are answering.  One question, I had to ask my instructor after if I read it right and he got it wrong too.

It is only 25 questions and takes under 15 minutes.  You need a 70% to pass.

Now, with that out of the way, I am on to write my Student Pilot Permit (formerly PSTAR) exam tomorrow.  Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment