Thursday 24 April 2014

Lesson 1 - Attitudes & Movements

So today I had my first flight lesson!

The plan was to fly a Cessna 150 in the morning for the first lesson and a Diamond DA20 for the second so that I could get the feel for the different planes available.  They also have a Cessna172 and a Diamond DA40, but I figure these are too big (and pricey) for just starting out.

Cessna 150

Diamond DA20

I would have preferred to try both airplanes, but we ended up just flying the DA20 due to the high winds.  I am hoping to use the 150 for one of the lessons tomorrow.  

When I arrived, we did a brief overview of the flight exercise.  Basically, the instructor questioned me on a few of the points in the Flight Training Manual to make sure I had read it and understood what we would be doing.  Nothing too crazy, just some basic stuff.  After that, we headed out for a pre-flight check.  

The instructor did most of the flying, but I did do the pre-flight check of the airplane with him and did most of the taxiing.  All the radio work was done by him as I have yet to write my radio exam.  He flew us to the training area and then I did quite a bit of work at the controls flying the plane which was a lot of fun.  I think I tend to ask A LOT of questions, but I think that is a good way to learn.  

I did mount a GoPro in the cockpit and am in the process of editing a video.

Tomorrow is Climbing and Descending!





1 comment:

  1. So Happy you are finally pursuing this dream :) great first day!

    ReplyDelete